We talk a lot in real estate about the importance of staging your home before placing your home on the market for sale. What is often overlooked though is the importance of staging the exterior, or an “outdoor living room” as well.
Here are 5 easy and cost effective steps to staging your outdoor living room:
- Spruce Up the Landscaping – This step involves some basic landscaping and yard clean up. These general maintenance items include keeping the grass mowed to a healthy height, pruning trees and bushes, and adding a fresh layer of mulch.
- Declutter and Clean – Much like you do inside your home, put away lawn equipment, kids’ toys, and pet play things into your storage shed or garage. Also remove any personalized yard ornaments and excess patio furniture. After everything is put away, it’s time for a good scrub down, sweep, and debris removal to create a clean, fresh environment.
- Create Living Landscapes – Freshen your yard by planting flower beds and placing pots of colorful flowers in strategic locations. Make sure to use plants that can endure our Texas heat!
- Define Outdoor Spaces – Defining spaces within your yard will help buyers to imagine themselves and what they might do in their outdoor living room. Shrubbery and bushes can add privacy from neighbors, camouflage pool equipment or A/C units, or define play areas. The previously mentioned planters full of colorful flowers can be strategically placed, such as between sitting and eating areas of the patio.
- Invite the Outdoors In – You want your outdoor living room to feel like an extension of your indoor living room. Before showings, open up your curtains and blinds to showcase the outdoor living area that you’ve created. By doing this, you will highlight your beautiful yard and outdoor space before the potential buyer even steps out the back door.
At O’Farrell Realty, we believe in showcasing your home in the best ways possible, both inside and out. Let one of our marketing experts work for you!