Your home is one of your largest investments, and one of your top priorities should be to protect it from the damages of a hurricane. Now is the time to plan preparations for your home.
Here is a list of 9 things to prepare when the next big storm is on its way:
- Before a storm is in the Gulf review your insurance policy.
- Even if you have not flooded before it is a good idea to get flood insurance. Keep in mind that there is a 30-day grace period between the time you secure flood insurance and the day it becomes effective. Please remember if there is a named storm in the Gulf of Mexico insurance companies will not issue an insurance policy, wind storm or flood.
- Inventory your property; take pictures so you know exactly what you need to replace.
- Inspect, repair, and seal your roof as this is the first point of entry during a storm.
- Seal windows and doors to protect against blowing rain.
- Check that carports and porch attachments are secure. If they blow off they can tear large holes into your home.
- Seal holes on the outside of your home to prevent water penetration.
- Clear the yard of any objects, which can become missiles and damage your home.
9. Reinforce your garage door because it can blow in and cause major damage.
Advanced preparation is always the best solution to protect your family, pets, and home. You can obtain an in depth hurricane preparedness list at https://www.ready.gov/kit and the following link is for a hurricane tracking chart: http://trackthetropics.com/atlantic-hurricane-season-tracking- chart/
The O’Farrell Realty team hopes that you and your home remain safe in the event of a hurricane.